Injuries are common in many favorite sports, including football, soccer, softball and baseball, volleyball, track, martial arts, and more. Sports injuries can be painful and debilitating, and often require extensive and lengthy treatment to resolve. The goal of sports injury treatment should be to not only treat the current injury, but help the patient restore physical abilities and range of motion so they can get back to playing the sport they love.
Do You Need a Sports Chiropractor?
While traditional Western medicine is very useful for treating many sports injuries, especially in severe cases where surgery may be required, for many injuries caused by sports, medication only serves to alleviate symptoms and never addresses the root of the problem. Many people believe that chiropractors only treat back pain, however, chiropractors can do much, much more and this type of care can be especially valuable to athletes.
How Do Chiropractors Treat a Sports Injury?
Sports injuries can be treated with a wide variety of chiropractic techniques, including but not limited to:
- Traditional chiropractic manipulation to relieve pressure on the spine and the surrounding nerves caused by subluxation, or misalignment
- Active Release Technique (ART), which treats tendons, muscles, ligaments, and surrounding soft tissue with movement and massage
- Soft tissue mobilization that helps break down scar tissue and reduce inflammation after an injury
- Kinesio taping, which uses specialized tape to support muscle groups and improve lymphatic drainage
- Sports massage to relieve muscle tightness and promote healing blood flow
- Electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound therapy, and laser therapy to help reduce pain
- Corrective exercises to help patients regain range of motion
What Types of Sports Injury Does a Chiropractor Treat?
A sports chiropractor can treat a wide variety of conditions, including but not limited to:
- Knee injuries
- Ankle sprains
- Tennis elbow
- Hamstring strains
- Stress fractures
- Groin strain
- Neck strain
The first step to obtaining quality treatment is to identify the condition with a thorough health assessment, including identifying the sport that the patient plays, what the patient was doing directly prior to the injury, and what symptoms the patient is experiencing. A sports chiropractor can then recommend an immediate and long term treatment plan that addresses each issue, with the goal of getting the patient back to playing condition as soon as possible.
Contact Our Celebration FL Chiropractor
If you have been injured while playing a sport, don’t wait to get the treatment you need. Dr. Bret MacDermott is an experienced sports chiropractor and can provide you with quality chiropractic care at our office in Celebration FL. We use state of the art equipment to achieve the best results possible, and we’ll work with you to help you reach your goals of healing and even improving your overall performance in the sport you play.
Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with our seasoned sports chiropractor and begin a treatment plan that will get you back out on the field or court as quickly as possible. Call now at (407) 507-6976.